Link to Interactive Honduran Map (Our Little Roses is in San Pedro Sula)
CLICK ON ANY PICTURE BELOW TO SEE ENTIRE COLLECTION!
www.flickr.com
scottpetersen's photos More of scottpetersen's photos

Friday, July 08, 2005

 

Practice, practice, practica

A friend of mine in Miami made the comment that I would learn espanol quicker if I was writing in the language. He castigated me for writing in English. He's right of course. The language comes with practice. I am however beginning to catch on.

Ariel is my profesor. (O Mi profesor es Ariel.) Hoy me preguntio hacer copias. Today he asked me to make some copies. Doesn't that just sound like a teacher? Anyway, I went to make copies in the home's main office. While my Spanish is better it still very rough but I managed to negotiate with the office staff for the copy machine. It was not that they were mean about it. It simply is dificil to understand my Spanish. Yet I got there.

Next to the copy machine was a bookshelf. As I began to make copies I noticed an open bilingual bible. One one side was the English and the other el espanol. Providently enough it was opened to Salmo 23 (23rd Psalm). Now one might start thinking synchronicity and one might be right yet finding the Bible open to the 23rd Psalm is really not all that unusual. If there was a Bible greatest hits album, Psalm 23 would be on it. No the synchronicity kicks in later.

The copy machine was not all that fast and I had to make double copies for every page. This took awhile so I began to try and read Psalm 22. As I worked down the page I would get some words and phrases but often had to check the English. I was pleased as I was able to get more than I missed. Then I made it to 22:24. As I read I understood "porque". I understood " El'". I understood that the verb "desprecia" was despise. To my amazement I was able to read the first part of the verse without looking at the English.

This may not seem much to you but it was an accomplishment for me. And here is where the synchronicity kicks in. I was understanding exactly what was happening to me and the girls of this home. The line was significant because around me, as worn around the edges the girls and the home sometimes is, was the message that I was reading. This home is testimony of the great fact being expressed in Psalm 22 and specifically in verse 24.

It reads "porque EL no desprecia ni tiene en poco el sufrimiento del pobre" "because He does not disdain nor is small to the sufferings of the poor."

Our God is a big God. Yes He uses even the mundane moments like making copies. The poor he does not send away and we are to witness to that great fact.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?